Saturday, January 03, 2009

Why, As For Me, Do I Dislike It So Masterfully ...?

I must apologize to my blogger readers for the dreadful formatting errors that plague my posts.
||
Actually, I'm not really apologizing, but cursing blogger for many of its infuriating mannerisms and its interfering "templates."
||
I prepare my contributions with care, then run them through some transformations to make Blogger happy, mainly converting all "left-bracket-p-right-brackets" and "left-bracket-/p-right-brackets" to newlines. That's where the trouble appears. These appear in four different ways: As newlines in the "edit html" portion of the blogger editor; as paragraph boundaries in "Compose"; as paragraph boundaries in "Preview"; and as nothing at all in the actual blog, which comes out as one gigantic paragraph.
||
My latest theory is that this has something to do with the many different newline formats in the world, but my attempts to toss extra control-Ms and control-Js into what I paste into Blogger have led nowhere.
||
If anyone has any suggestions, I'd be happy to hear them. Perhaps if I find a cure I can go back and make all my previous postings look readable.
||
P.S. The plot has thickened. This post looked just fine until I put in some explicit html character entities (you know, the things with ampersands, like the thing you have to type to get an ampersand; I can't actually type one at this point for fear my computer will melt down). Even when I removed the entities, yielding the "left-bracket-right-bracket" crap a few paragraphs back, blogger remembered and refused to forgive me. So now this post has double-vertical-bars wherever a paragraph boundary should be. But in "Compose" and "Preview" the boundaries are right where they should be.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

And you say there is no intelligence at work in them there electric brain boxes? Clearly they are exhibiting real malice toward you, and it takes a real intelligence to be really malicious. -- older Tech Tool

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.